Winter vacations can be some of the best memory-making experiences you’ll ever encounter, especially in the Enchanted Circle! We all know how much fun the winter activities in Red River can be, but did you know there’s more fun waiting just around the corner? Only 30 miles from Red River, the adventures in Angel Fire are the perfect day trip for your mountain retreat!
Located in the Southern Rocky Mountains, Angel Fire offers you endless opportunities for winter fun. If you’re looking for adventure, you found it! Let’s look at a list of fun-filled winter activities in Angel Fire:
- Skiing and Snowboarding: Whether you’re looking for a slope for performance, competition, or fun, Angel Fire has what you’re seeking! With over 500 acres of ski slopes, you’re sure to find the perfect terrain from downhill skiing, to cross country, and everything in-between! The trails aren’t crowded, and the powder is perfect. Even when Mother Nature doesn’t want to cooperate, there’s still plenty of skiing, thanks to an extensive snow-making system. Be sure to try night skiing for some really cool bragging rights!
- Snow Tubing: Finding activities for the little ones can be quite challenging as you make your list of winter activities in Angel Fire. This one, however, is sure to be a favorite! The Polar Coaster is a five-lane tubing hill offering tons of family fun. With all the adrenaline of skiing, yet requiring none of the skill, you’re looking at a downhill joyride with squeals of delight.
- Snowmobiling: Rent a snowmobile and enjoy the nearby 50 miles of accessible trails in Carson National Forest for a day of snow and smiles.
- Snowshoeing: Take a break from the slopes and get trekking. With over 50 miles of scenic trails, you are sure to enjoy the mountain air, stunning views, and easy to moderate trail levels, all while staying within the town’s boundaries.
- Ice Fishing: Grab that fishing license and gear to make a quick 10 mile trip up to Eagle Nest Lake State Park for some ice fishing. Enjoy the stocked lake of salmon and trout by drilling a hole in the ice and sinking that hook into the water below. Snag those fish and bring home dinner!
- Sleigh Rides: Take the family out for a relaxing ride through the countryside, as you bundle up and snuggle in a guided sleigh tour.
- Winter Hunting: Book a guided hunting tour and reel in the big ones! It’s not unusual to score a world class trophy elk or Rocky Mountain Bighorn Sheep. Elk, Whitetail and Mule Deer, Black Bear, Turkeys, Pronghorn, Cougar, and a plethora of other trophies are waiting for you in the Southern Rocky Mountains.
There are other daily activities to choose from, as well, as you seek out winter activities in Angel Fire. Local businesses host weekly social events throughout the winter months. We do recommend taking a moment at the end of each day to appreciate the meaning behind Angel Fire’s name. Angel Fire is said to be named after the fiery evening light which lands upon the alpine peaks as the setting sun descends to the horizon. The sunlight hitting the ice frost on the trees’ branches sets off a fiery glow which is a beautiful sight to behold.
We hope you enjoy your visit to Angel Fire and all the activities they have to offer you. Feel free to drop us a line to ask any questions you may have about the area. We look forward to seeing you!
Leave a Reply